GIVING CODE: ACM1244
About the project
Malaria is the major cause of health problems and death in Mozambique. In some areas of the country, 90% of children under the age of 5 are infected with malaria parasites. Children under the age of 5 and pregnant mothers are most likely to die from malaria infection.
Malaria is preventable, but there is no preventative vaccine and anti-malaria prophylaxes are a costly long-term solution. There are behavioral activities that can substantially reduce infection rates though. These include:
• Sleeping under long-lasting insecticide treated malaria nets (LLINs). (This is the most cost-effective malaria prevention method).
• Wearing long sleeve clothing at dusk and dawn.
• Using indoor residual sprays, anti-malaria repellents, or similar natural products.
• Minimizing breeding sites, by discerning items that allow water to pool and collect.
Families of school-going children and children under the age of 5 in the Tete Province of Mozambique will be provided with long-lasting insecticide treated malaria nets (LLINs) and malaria education. Tete is one of the hottest parts of the country. It is located on the Zambezi River and has a population of over 1,550,000 persons.
The Church of the Nazarene will reduce malaria infection rates and death amongst children under the age of 5 in selected areas in Tete Province through this project.
• $15… Will provide one child with a malaria net
• $45… Will provide a family with 1 double and 2 single nets
• $115… Will provide training to 30 children on malaria prevention
• $80… Will provide a family with 1 double and 4 single nets and a can of indoor residual spray
In the US:
Make checks payable to General Treasurer
and send them to:
Global Treasury Services
Church of the Nazarene
P.O. Box 843116
Kansas City, MO 64184-3116
In Canada: Make checks payable Church of the Nazarene Canada and send them to:
Church of the Nazarene Canada
3657 Ponytrail Drive
Mississauga, ON L4X 1W5
Be sure to put ACM1244 in the Memo area. Thanks for your donation.